New courses, and revisions to existing courses must first be vetted by respective departments. Upon submission, they are then reviewed by Instructional Support, Department Chair, Divisional Analyst, Associate Dean, CEP/GC, and Registrar's office. Upon approval, you will notified by Instructional Support. These revisions must be submitted by the quarterly deadlines found on the Course Approval Calendar: https://registrar.ucsc.edu/calendar/other/course-approval.html
Instructions to submit a new course or revise an existing one:
- Below are charts highlighting which forms are needed for each type of revision. The 'X's are hyperlinks that will direct you to the appropriate form. Forms must be submitted electronically. Form submission will automatically notify Instruct.
- CCI Syllabus Requirements: Including accessibility, please visit CITL's syllabus design webpage here: https://citl.ucsc.edu/teaching-resources/designing-courses-syllabi/
- Access an editable syllabus template (for download) here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NQ7EPzFSW1sGSLh-2gykxLWh3tukj4hkeHm9H3myRq4/edit
- Once prepared, syllabi will need to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective Winter '22, all courses can be revised to include "hybrid", "synchronous online", and "asynchronous online" versions. Those definitions are in the supplemental forms, as well as here: https://senate.ucsc.edu/committees/cep-committee-on-educational-policy/policies-guidelines/final-revised-cep,-gc-online-course-policy-051221.pdf
|New Course||Course Approval
|Undergraduate New Course*||X||X||X|
|Graduate New Course||X||X||X|
* If you are proposing that a General Education (GE) requirement be fulfilled by a particular class (undergrad only), please additionally fill out the appropriate GE form. Only one GE can be applied to each course. Those forms can be found here: https://registrar.ucsc.edu/forms/facultystaff/courses/GEs/index.html. Completed GE forms are sent to Instruct.
**If you are proposing that your course require a prerequisite/co-requisite that is outside of your department, please also email Instruct a letter of support from the sponsoring department (forwarded/attached email is fine).
Effective Winter '22, all courses can be revised to include "hybrid", "synchronous online", and "asynchronous online" versions. Those definitions are in the revision forms below, as well as here: https://senate.ucsc.edu/committees/cep-committee-on-educational-policy/policies-guidelines/final-revised-cep,-gc-online-course-policy-051221.pdf
If your new course include any aspect of online modality, you will need to submit the appropriate revision form below in addition to what is indicated above.
|General revision (in-person)*||X||X|
|General revision (in-person)||X||X|
- Hybrid: 50% of class time includes required face-to-face interaction between the instructor and students, but may occasionally use Zoom or other video-conferencing technologies; Midterm or final exams are typically administered using the in-person component
- Synchronous Online: Lectures require synchronous face to face time online; associated activities can be mixed
- Asynchronous Online: synonymous with "fully online"; students go at own pace; most material is pre-recorded; little to no live interaction with instructor