Baskin Engineering hires its Graduate Student Researchers on a quarterly basis. The BE Academic Payroll Team sends the hiring request call to faculty six to eight weeks before the start of each quarter.
Department GSR Salary
The GSR will be hired in accordance with the hiring department’s GSR established salary program.
GSR Appointment Dates and Percentage
- The BE Academic Payroll Team will check to see if the student has any employment that overlaps with the requested dates. Graduate students are limited to 50% employment during the academic quarter unless the Graduate Division approves an exception*. A request to hire a GSR with concurrent AY 50% ASE appointment is an exceptional request; such requests are typically denied at the divisional level and not forwarded to the Graduate Division.
- *This exception does not apply to international students; please contact the BE Academic Payroll Team if you have any questions.
- Because the GSR percentage must be commensurate with the workload, the measurable workload should equate to whole hours per week, using a 40-hour workweek standard, e.g., 50% = 20 hours per week, 25% = 10 hours per week. Appointment % must be commensurate with effort. Generally, a GSR is hired at 50% unless the workload is less than half-time.
Duties performed by a GSR shall be directly related to a research objective. Hiring a GSR to perform duties suited for a student assistant or staff position is not permissible. Consult with the BE Academic Payroll Team if you have questions.
Faculty PI Supervisors
- Please discuss your preliminary GSR support decisions with your department's Graduate Advisor, Research Analyst, and students as needed.
- Submit the BE GSR Hiring Request Form for GSRs you will directly supervise (requires CruzID and Gold password credentials).
- These forms are quarter-specific. Please do not submit a future quarter hire request until that quarter's GSR hiring call.
- Email summaries of submitted forms are sent to your @ucsc email.
- A list of the previous quarter's GSRs is available on the first page of the form and in the BE GSR Request Gshared Drive.
- Direct your funding questions to your Research Administrator.
- Students must accept the formal appointment offer and complete the required employment forms before working.
BE Research Administrators
- Review your PI's GSR request(s) on the centralized responses sheet, consult with them as needed, and complete the Tier 2 budget approval.
BE Academic Payroll
- Facilitates the GSR hiring call, monitors GSR request form responses, and ensures requests are complete and comply with policy and the GSR UAW contract.
- Generates the GSR appointment notice letter 30 calendar days before the start of the appointment or, when a GSR hire request is late, as soon as possible.
- Initiates the student onboarding and ensures completion of the required employment paperwork and compliance with State and Federal laws.
- Completes the UCPath hire and funding entry transactions when the student completes their employment documents.