Faculty and Visitor Handbook


This handbook provides information for the Baskin School of Engineering faculty, lecturers and visitors. Any feedback and/or suggestions are welcome and should be directed to the Instructional Support Service Office, E2 298. Please email us: instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu We appreciate your contribution at UCSC, and hope to make your teaching or research will get easier with these guidelines. We take teaching seriously and do our best to make the educational experience stimulating and productive for all our students. The Jack Baskin School of Engineering is located in the Jack Baskin Engineering Building (JBE) and the Engineering 2 Building (E2). The web address for the School of Engineering is: http://engineering.ucsc.edu


 Table of Contents

Department Faculty Administration

School of Engineeringhttps://engineering.ucsc.edu/people/

Applied Mathematics https://engineering.ucsc.edu/departments/applied-mathematics/people/

Biomolecular Engineeringhttps://engineering.ucsc.edu/departments/biomolecular-engineering/people/

Computer Science and Engineeringhttps://engineering.ucsc.edu/departments/computer-science-and-engineering/people/

Computational Mediahttps://engineering.ucsc.edu/departments/computational-media/people/

Electrical and Computer Engineeringhttps://engineering.ucsc.edu/departments/electrical-and-computer-engineering/people/

Statistics -https://engineering.ucsc.edu/departments/statistics/people/

School of Engineering Email Groups

Below are Baskin Engineering email lists that are actively managed to ensure that they are kept current:

Department Chairs (be-department-chairs@ucsc.edu)

Senate Faculty (be-senate-faculty@ucsc.edu)

Staff (be-staff@ucsc.edu)

Researchers (be-researchers@ucsc.edu)

Graduate Student Instructors (be-gsi@ucsc.edu)

Instructors (be-instructors@ucsc.edu)

-- includes U18 lecturers

-- includes be-senate-faculty@ucsc.edu

-- includes be-gsi@ucsc.edu

School of Engineering Administrative Staff

For  updated list of staff members, please visit: http://engineering.ucsc.edu/people/staff

Instructional Support Services

The Instructional Support Office is located in the Department Service Center,  E2 Building, Suite 298. Our hours are Monday through Friday 8am-12:00pm and 1pm-5pm. There is a drop box located outside the Department Service Center in the E2 lobby.

Services are provided for: Ladder rank, Emeritus faculty, Lecturers, visiting teaching faculty, and Teaching Assistants.

For any instructional support please contact us by email: instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu

We provide the following services:

  • Course Permission Codes
  • Course Scheduling
  • Conference Room Bookings
  • DRC Testing Accommodations
  • Fax Service
  • Faculty Orientation
  • Intercampus and Mail Courier Receiving
  • Office Supplies
  • Paycheck/Reimbursement Check Distribution
  • Projector Checkout
  • University Letterhead
  • Visitor Parking Permits
  • General Support

Conference and Event Room Reservations

Conference rooms are available in the Jack Baskin Engineering Building, the Engineering 2 Building and at other locations around campus that can be used for meetings and seminars. Reservations for a conference room can be made by form submission to: https://organization.soe.ucsc.edu/bsoe-conference-and-events-rooms-listing.

As per current policy, conference rooms are not scheduled as primary classroom location.

Conference rooms may not be available during the finals, as all of them will be used for administering exams for students with DRC accommodation. Please note: Baskin Engineering conference rooms are being much more heavily used by faculty and for Baskin Engineering-DRC student exam accommodations, so future availability may be quite limited or we may be unable to reserve rooms for other units.

Please note that conference rooms are locked at all times, and you will be provided a code for entry upon confirmation of reservation.

The Document Publishing and Editing Center

Manuscript revisions, editing, web page updates, tape transcription and other projects on a recharge basis. Contact Professor Publishing Services Coordinator (459-3888, profpub@ucsc.edu)

Copyright Law Information

Copyright law forbids photocopying of copyrighted materials without written permission. Permission request forms can be obtained from the Instructional Support Services Office, E2-298 or the Campus Printing Services located in the basement of the Jack Baskin Engineering Building. It is against copyright laws to copy entire books. For coursework, one copy of an article or a book chapter may be made. A limited number of copies may be made to put on reserve in the library. It is not permissible to make copies for distribution to students, since the University does not pay for text material for students.



For information related to paychecks, please visit the Baskin Engineering Academic Personnel/Payroll webpage at:


Should you elect physical pay checks, they will be delivered to the Instructional Support Services Office, E2 298. You will need to sign for your check during office hours, Monday-Friday 9.30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m., E2-298 is closed 12:00 p.m.- 1:00 p.m for lunch break. Please note that per payroll policy, physical checks will be held for 5 business days. Checks that are not picked up within 5 business days are returned to payroll.


All School of Engineering faculty, staff and visitors have an assigned mailbox located in E2 210 or E2 310. Pick up and delivery of U.S. mail and on campus mail occurs by approximately 11:00 a.m. daily. There are two mail bags, the burgundy colored bag is for on-campus mailings and the blue colored bag is for off-campus mailings. The mail stop name is ―SOE 2 or ―SOE 3 and should be written on all incoming and outgoing mail. Room and building numbers are not used. It is important that you use the correct mail stop when sending mail on campus. A complete list of campus mail stop names is available at:



UPS and FedEx Delivery should be picked up from Baskin Engineering Receiving (BE 40). For more information on Baskin Engineering Receiving and Shipping, please see their website at:


Computer Accounts/Support

Baskin Engineering Computer accounts are required for all new staff, faculty and grad students. To register for a new account, please visit:


The ITS Department can assist you with setting up your computing environment, accessing email, and linking to the department’s network. For technical support please visit:


Copy Center

For larger print jobs that will require hundreds to thousands of pages of printing (such as exams, syllabi, and course handouts), we ask that you please go through the Copy Center. Just email copy@ucsc.edu with a file to be printed (PDFs preferred), and the details of the job.  For more information and instructions on submission, please see their website at: http://www.copycenter.ucsc.edu/

ID/Library Card

Faculty library cards can be obtained at campus libraries. For more information on how, please visit the University Library webpage:



The Department has a limited budget for telephone calls and reserves the right to request reimbursement for any personal, research, or non-departmental business related calls. For information regarding ordering your phone/voicemail service, see the Facilities Services section of this handbook or contact your department for current policy and practice for telephone usage.

To make a conference call from your office phone, refer to the Telephone User Guide instructions located near the front of the Campus Directory. If you need to set up a meeting to make a conference call, the Instructional Support Services Office has a conference speakerphone you may check out. If you are making a conference call for department business, please contact your department manager for the conference number and instructions on how to access Ready Talk.

Getting Listed in the Campus Directory

In addition to the contact information on the SOE website, faculty must list their contact information on the on-line UCSC Campus Directory. To add or update your information, please use the on-line Campus Directory at: http://campusdirectory.ucsc.edu/

Guidelines for Faculty Information on the SOE WEB Site

Please visit https://accounts.soe.ucsc.edu/accounts/directory to update your directory information, including things like your office hours, office location, selected publications and so on. If your title is incorrect in the directory, please e-mail instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu to make a correction. Additionally, please contact Tim Gustafson (tjg@ucsc.edu) to schedule a time to take your faculty photograph if you have not already done so. Your photo will be taken on campus in the Jack Baskin Engineering building, and the whole process takes about 15 minutes. Please note that user-submitted photos are not accepted for the faculty directory.

Keys/Omnilock Codes

All instructors will be issued keys to a faculty office (which may be shared), to the outside doors of the building, and to the mailrooms. Keys are available from Facilities (459-4878, bsoe-facilities@rt.ucsc.edu) in Jack Baskin Engineering, Room 399C from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. These keys must be returned to the Facilities office at the end of the appointment period. Specific research and instructional labs have Omni locks and require a code to access these labs. These codes are also distributed in the Facilities Office. If you get locked out of an office or lab, call facilities or email bsoe-facilities@rt.ucsc.edu

Electronic Key Cards (E2 Building)

Faculty, staff, and students accessing the Engineering 2 Building will be using the School of Engineering's electronic door access system. This system uses a proximity card (credit card size with photo ID) to control the locks on the perimeter building doors and numerous rooms within.

Key cards for faculty require authorization from the department manager. All authorizations are sent via email to bsoe-facilities@rt.ucsc.edu in advance and the email must include the reason why they need the card, what areas the holder needs to access, and an end date. Once Facilities receives the authorization you will need to have your photo taken at campus ID Services located on the ground floor of the Bay Tree Building. Hours of operation are 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Next, ID Services will send your card to SOE Facilities for activation. After your card has been activated, SOE Facilities will contact you to pick up your card in the Facilities office, BE 399C.

Please contact Facilities, x9-4878 or bsoe-facilities@rt.ucsc.edu, with any questions regarding key cards.

Faculty Housing

The Housing, Dining and Child Care services provide housing services for Faculty. These services include apartments for faculty, assistance with finding off-campus housing, guest apartments rented on a daily basis, faculty for-sale housing (housing build on land leased by the University and sold to eligible faculty) and mortgage assistance programs. For more information, call the Faculty Housing Office at (831) 458-3506, send e-mail to facultyhousing@ucsc.edu, or visit: http://housing.ucsc.edu/employee-housing/index.html

Bio-Bibliography (CV)

All Senate and non-Senate faculty at UCSC are required to keep their bio-bibliography (CV) up to date. The campus uses a standardized format. Guidelines for bio-bibliographies are now available on the web at the following web site:

https://apo.ucsc.edu/advancement/academic-advancement/biobib-guidelines.html. The updated bio-bibliography is a key component of all faculty personnel reviews. In the School of Engineering, the Instructional Support Coordinators will provide updated teaching information as needed for inclusion on the bio-bibliography.

Transportation and Parking

Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) supports the University mission of academics, research and public service by providing and managing access to UC Santa Cruz and overseeing the planning, design and operation of the facilities and programs associated with parking, transit services, and bicycle/pedestrian circulation. Their website can be found here: http://taps.ucsc.edu/index.html

All vehicles using campus parking lots between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and from 7:00 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. in the Engineering 2 Building parking lot must display a parking permit appropriate to that lot, or park in a metered space and pay the meter. Purchasing a permit does not waive the meter fee. Parking permits may be purchased at the Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS) Sales Office, x9-4543, located in the H Barn (adjacent to the Campus Police Office) near the main entrance to the campus. You may purchase parking permits which are good for an entire quarter, or daily, monthly, or annual permits. 

The most common forms of transportation on campus are walking, biking, and riding shuttles. Day and Night Shuttles operate year round and schedule information is posted at each bus stop or visit http://taps.ucsc.edu/buses-shuttles/index.htmlThese shuttles are free to all users and wheelchair accessible.

There is also a disability van service for those unable to use the regular campus shuttle service.

All UCSC faculty and Research Associates are eligible to receive Santa Cruz City bus passes for the duration of their stay on campus.  The bus passes provide day, evening and weekend transportation around the campus as well as throughout Santa Cruz County on the Santa Cruz Metro system. Schedules and route guides are published quarterly. To obtain a bus pass, go to the Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS) office at the H Barn near the campus main entrance. There are also other commuting options such as vanpools, carpools and a bike trailer from Mission Street to campus, as well as a disability van service. For more information, please visit: http://taps.ucsc.edu/index.html

Seminars and Visitors

The School of Engineering hosts a large number and variety of academic seminars, which bring visitors from around the world to share their expertise with our faculty and students. The Faculty host is responsible for setting a seminar schedule and inviting visitors to campus. Instructional Support Services (instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu) provides staff support for seminar presentations, and can coordinate all logistics including facilities, posting events to the SoE web page, making announcements and flyers, giving directions to campus, and providing parking permits for visitors.

Reimbursement Procedures for Entertainment, Seminars & Hosting Visitors

Forms for reimbursement can be found at: https://financial.ucsc.edu/Pages/Payments_and_Reimbursements_Process.aspx

Before hosting visitors the department must approve a request for payment or reimbursement of official entertainment expenses. A request for payment must be submitted on an Entertainment Check Request (Form U5-IE), or an equivalent campus form (UCSC Entertainment and Student Programming Reimbursement Form). The completed request must include the following information:

  • Type of expense (lunch, dinner, etc.)
  • Type of event
  • In order to establish the business relationship to the University)
  • Date and location of the event
  • Nature of the occasion or the purpose of the meeting
  • Official host’s name and department

Requests for payment processed electronically must contain the same information as that required for paper processing. All expenses must be supported by original itemized receipts, or acceptable electronic receipts, which must be submitted with the request for payment. In addition, the request must include a certification by the official host that the entertainment expenses were incurred for official University business purposes.

For more information on reimbursement policies, contact FAST General Help Line at 459.4488 or please visit:


Technical Reports

The School of Engineering posts technical reports on our web sites. A tech report number (i.e. UCSC-SOE-YY-NN) is assigned automatically.

- The first page of your report document must include: title, authors, institution, tech report number, date (month and year), abstract, and keywords, the name of the faculty who approved the report and the assigned technical report number (which will be assigned once you create the report at the URL above).

To see the current library of technical reports, please see: https://tr.soe.ucsc.edu/.

Preparing to Teach

Scheduling Courses and Classrooms

The Instructional Support Coordinators (instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu) devise a course schedule three quarters before classes start. Any request for changes after the initial schedule has been published must be requested and approved first by your Department Chair. Instructional Support and Department Managers will try to accommodate changes. For more information on classroom scheduling policy, visit: http://registrar.ucsc.edu/classrooms/scheduling/index.html

Concurrent Enrollment

Some students enroll in regularly scheduled UCSC classes through University Extension, as a means of taking one or two classes at a time. These enrollments are referred to as―concurrent enrollments. University Extension administers these enrollments—collecting fees, enrolling the student, and then collecting and posting the grades at the end. Instructors receive a separate grade sheet (course report) form at the end of the quarter for any concurrent enrollment students. This form is completed by the instructor of record for each course and returned directly to the University Extension office, not to the Registrar's office.

Ordering Books

Faculty should order all graduate and undergraduate textbooks (including copies for students to buy at the Bay Tree Bookstore and desk copies for TAs) about two months before classes start. You may order textbooks by phone at 831-459-4216, by paper form available in the Faculty Services Office, by email to txtbooks@ucsc.edu, or online at http://slugstore.ucsc.edu/, https://library.ucsc.edu/request-a-purchase.

To reserve books from the Science Library, call x9-2865 or visit http://calendar.library.ucsc.edu/

Other Course Readings

If you wish to provide other material (e.g., unpublished manuscripts, articles) you can arrange for the duplication of this material. We typically use the UCSC Copy Center (459-3888, copy@ucsc.edu) for this service. Having a course reader for students to purchase may be preferable to requiring students to read many library reserve materials. Each quarter, the Copy Center has a specific deadline. Please allow six (6) – eight (8) weeks for this process. For specific deadlines, please visit http://copycenter.ucsc.edu/

Equipment and Media Needs

Limited equipment for course support is available for your use. The Department Service Center has Apple HDMI adapters for same-day loan (USB-C and thunderbolt). An overhead projector, slide projector, and data projectors can also be checked out. Many of the larger campus classrooms have this equipment built in.

Classroom media access codes are emailed to all listed instructors 1-2 weeks before the start of classes. If you have not received your code by two days before the start of the quarter, faculty or TAs can fill out the following form, and the media access code will be emailed to you within 60 seconds:

Alternatively, you can contact Learning Technologies: Phone: (831) 459-2117; email: media@ucsc.edu

For a full description of the services provided by Learning Technologies, please go to their website at: http://its.ucsc.edu/special-events/

Office Hours

Faculty, lecturers and TAs should hold office hours to answer students’ questions, preferably at least 2-4 hours a week. To update your office hours, please visit https://accounts.soe.ucsc.edu/directory at your convenience.

A list of faculty office hours will automatically posted on the Baskin Engineering web page:


If you cannot be present during office hours, it is advised to place a note on your door and/or notify the Instructional Support Services Office to post signage for you.

Absence from Teaching

Faculty informs their Department Chair and Department Manager of any absences and faculty are responsible for arranging for a substitute instructor. E-mail instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu with the name of the substitute instructor for informational purposes in case questions arise.

The following procedure to cancel a class:

  1. Faculty informs their students by email and also lists on their class web page all class cancellations.
  2. Notify Instructional Support at instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu with the date of the class cancellation and if a makeup class should be rescheduled. This is critical for distance learning classes. IS will notify Faculty Services to post signage at the classroom.
  3. Notify the Undergraduate or Graduate Office if you plan to be absent so that they can answer any questions from students.

Leave of Absence

Faculty leaves can take many forms, and should always be discussed well in advance with the Department Chair. Existing campus policy governs informal faculty leaves of absence during the academic year and especially while the quarter is in session.

If you are planning to be away from campus for any length of time during the academic year, please follow these guidelines:

For a period of absence of one to seven consecutive days, you must notify (via e-mail or in writing) the department chair in advance, who can then approve the leave. Please include the following information: dates of purposed absence, reason for absence, and arrangements for covering any teaching or service obligations.

For a period of absence longer than seven days, you must formally request the Dean's approval. You should give the department chair a written request addressed to the Dean and containing the information indicated above. The department chair will review and endorse the request and forward it to the Dean for approval. Depending on the duration and nature of an extended leave, you may be asked to complete a Leave of Absence form. Once that request is received and approved, a leave of absence form will be prepared for your signature.

It is helpful to notify the Chair at the beginning of each quarter about any anticipated absences, rather than waiting until a few days before you plan to leave.

Regulations on the various types of formal leaves available:

  • Leaves of Absence/General Sabbatical Leaves
  • Sick Leave Leave for Service to Governmental Agencies
  • Family and Medical Leave Military Leave
  • Holidays Leave to Attend Professional Meetings
  • Vacation and Other Leaves with Pay
  • Childbearing Leave and Other Leaves without Pay
  • Parental Leaves Active Service-Modified Duties

Please refer to these policy sections for University policy concerning these leaves and/or contact Academic Human Resources.

Permission Codes

Permission codes are given to instructors and co-instructors upon their request to Instructional Support (instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu) for undergraduate courses and graduate courses prior to a quarter’s enrollment period. The following information is provided to assist you as you utilize this tool. Permission code is a number issued by an instructor to a student who:

  • Did not meet published course restrictions (major, class level, college)
  • Did not meet course prerequisites (e.g. a student with transfer credit)
  • Is permitted to enroll in a class after the 7th day of instruction
  • Is permitted to add a class that is full (closed) provided the room has seating available

Permission codes are unique to a specific course section, may be used only once by a student and may be used any time after the beginning of Open Enrollment. Receiving a permission code guarantees that the student has a place in the class.

The Instructor will receive a permission code roster, if appropriate, for each course section that is taught. If an instructor is teaching more than one section of the same course, it is critical that codes are issued from the correct roster. To avoid issuing the same code to two students, it is advised that instructors record each student’s name or ask each student to sign the roster.

Permission codes are not required for Interview Only and Individual Studies courses since the call number for the course is not published. Instructors need to obtain prior approval from the Department Chair or Manager if they wish to increase enrollment above the projected limit.

Baskin Engineering Permission code policy (UPDATE) - effective from Fall 2016

When an international student is granted enrollment in Engineering at UCSC, it is assumed  that they are outstanding students, and academically prepared for our classes. Therefore, the School of Engineering will be allowing the International Education Office to submit permission code requests to instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu on behalf of students. These permission codes will only override pre-reqs, and should not override a closed class. 
For more information about permission codes please visit: http://registrar.ucsc.edu/faqs/faculty/enrollment/index.html

Evaluation of Teaching

An automated e-mail will be sent to all students enrolled in the course when the evaluations have opened with instructions on how to complete their Online Instructor Evaluations. An automated reminder e-mail will be received by students every other day until the evaluation is submitted or the evaluation period closes.

Please take the time to discuss Online Instructor Evaluations with your students. Educating students on the importance of the evaluations and encouraging them to participate is essential to the success of this process.

Accessing Evaluations via Biobibnet:

You may already be aware that from Fall 2013 forward you may review your Teaching Evaluations directly through the DivData Biobibnet portal.
Use this link to Biobibnet: http://apo.ucsc.edu/divdata/

FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The disclosure of information from student records is governed by the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and, in part, by the State of California Education Code. It is the purpose of these policies to provide reasonable interpretations of those laws and to protect students' right of privacy as guaranteed by the Constitution of the State of California. Where the law is silent, the campus shall be guided by two principles: (1) the privacy of an individual is of great weight and (2) the information in a student's file should be disclosed to the student on request.

To read more about FERPA visit: http://registrar.ucsc.edu/records/privacy/

Homework, Exams, Papers

There is a federal policy, which falls under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. The FERPA requires that faculty return homework and exams in a manner that prevents public view of another person’s work and grades. Placing papers in boxes outside office doors is clearly a violation of the spirit of FERPA. Individual faculty rather than the University are open to litigation and fines for violating the FERPA should a student or students decide to take action.

Campus mailboxes are federally protected. Removing anything from a mailbox constitutes a federal offense.Faculty cannot put homework or exams in student mailboxes or in their own mailboxes and request students go there to pick them up.The safest policy is to have teaching assistants hand out work individually ten minutes before class or after class ends.If a class does not have a teaching assistant or reader, it is likely that there are few enough students that personally handing back the assignments during class time would not be an undue burden. If students miss class, they may pick up their work from the instructor's office during their designated office hours. For assignments at the end of the quarter, the instructor may require that students provide stamped, self-addressed envelopes so that work can be returned to them if they wish to have it.

It is also important to stop the practice of posting grades—that is another violation. Grades are available to students via AIS, so it really isn’t necessary for faculty to post grades outside their office.Please note that there is no official policy regarding the retention of completed student work. It is recommended that an instructor holds unclaimed course work for an entire academic year. At the end of that time, please be sure to shred any remaining course work.

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

You may be asked to make special accommodations for students with disabilities (including learning and psychological disabilities). By state and federal law, you are required to respond to these requests. Please do not question the student in regard to details of the disability. If they do not already have an Authorization for Accommodation from the Disability Resource Center (DRC), please encourage them to contact DRC at 459-2089. Please be sure to get a copy of the Authorization form for each DRC student.

Please be sure to submit the Quiz/Exam form that is emailed to all faculty at the start of each quarter. Instructional Support Services assists faculty with making special arrangements. The types of accommodation that may be requested could include setting up separate exams for some students, giving them additional time for exams, providing large-type materials, allowing sign language interpreters, note-takers or tape recorders in your classroom, or moving to an accessible classroom. Information is available from the DRC at 459-2089. The email address is drc@ucsc.edu. For more information: http://drc.ucsc.edu/, or visit the Americans with Disabilities Act home page at http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Helpful Campus Publications

The quarterly Schedule of Classes is the guide to enrolling in classes. It provides the appointment schedule for priority enrollment, the courses and their call numbers, course descriptions for courses offered, and instruction on how to access MyUCSC portal, the UCSC enrollment system.

At the third week of classes, you can access your official Class Roster from AIS through MyUCSC portal. Please encourage your students to enroll/drop the course prior to the third week.

The UCSC General Catalog gives detailed descriptions of major requirements and course prerequisites, restrictions and enrollment limitations. The Navigator contains information on a wide variety of campus policy matters as well as academic and student affairs. These publications are available online at: http://reg.ucsc.edu/

Academic Calendar: http://reg.ucsc.educalendar/calendar.pdf

Teaching Assistants and Readers

Teaching Assistant Policy

The Department Graduate Advisors work with the respective department Graduate Directors in making TA assignments based on course enrollments and available allocations. Many undergraduate School of Engineering courses have TA support. Preliminary assignments are made several weeks before class start, but final assignments may depend on actual undergraduate class enrollment, which often is not known until the second week of the quarter.

TA assignments are made on the basis of balancing faculty and graduate students’ preferences and strengths. Every attempt is made for the best possible match of student skills and faculty needs.

For more information on Graduate Advising, please see their website at: https://grad.soe.ucsc.edu/

Teaching Assistant Responsibilities

The faculty member decides what help is needed from TA. TAs may assist with labs or weekly discussion sections, or holding review sessions before exams, helping to grade or make up papers, exams, and problem sets. Regular attendance in class is strongly encouraged. The TA and the instructor must fill out instructor Checklist for TAs at the beginning of each quarter as part of the hiring process.

The usual TA appointment is for 50% time, 210 hours (maximum) per quarter. It is the responsibility of the instructor and TA jointly to assure that the TA’s load is not too heavy. Faculty should work with TAs in defining expectations for sections. You should meet with your TA(s) before classes start and define expectations regarding responsibilities, grading standards, class attendance, meetings, etc. If you would like assistance in working with your TAs, see graduate advisors or director for more information.

Evaluation of TAs

Like the faculty, their students evaluate TAs. Early on in the quarter, TAs are associated with their assigned classes and/or sections in the Academic Information System (AIS). This association is used in the generation of evaluations. A summary provides feedback to the faculty supervisor and to the TAs. Evaluations are used in selecting the TAs who will receive Distinguished Teaching Awards in the department, as well as in making future TA assignments.

Readers and Tutors

Undergraduate or Graduate students can be hired as paid readers or tutors in the School of Engineering by request of the Instructor with prior approval of the Department Manager and Chair. They are hired on a quarterly basis. The Academic Personnel Payroll Analysts may assist with recruitment of readers and tutors. Students keep a monthly time sheet, which must be signed by the faculty supervisor before the student can be paid. Faculty should speak with their respective Department Managers regarding approved Reader/Tutor allocations. Please visit the Academic Payroll Student Hiring page for more information.


Grading Options

The notation NP is recorded on the grade sheet. For work that is passing but incomplete, the notation I (Incomplete) may be issued (see below). In general, SOE majors must take their SOE courses for a letter grade, so instructors should discourage Pass/No Pass option. in  addition to the narrative evaluation, which is written for each student in each course for which credit is awarded, students will receive a letter-grade option (A, B, C, D, and F), unless they elect to receive a Pass/No Pass. The choice is the student’s at the time of enrollment and can be changed until the end of the third week of the quarter. For students that elect for the Pass/No Pass option, UCSC instructors must use the following system:

For undergraduates: (C or above for a Pass grade)
P (pass) NP (no pass) I (incomplete)

For graduates: (B or above for a Satisfactory grade)
S (satisfactory) U (unsatisfactory) I (incomplete)

Pass/No Pass Option

For the Pass/No Pass option, students receive a P (Pass) for work that is performed at C, or better. For work that is not clearly passing, no academic credit is awarded for the course, and no notation appears on the student's external transcript. See the Undergraduate Directors for more details.

Letter Grade Option

Students are graded by the traditional notations of A, B, C, D, F, I (incomplete), and W (Withdraw). Undergraduate grades of A and B may be modified with + or -, the grade of C may only by modified with a +. The University does not have a grade of C-. Graduate students do not receive + or – modifiers. For work that is passing but incomplete, the notation ―I‖ may be issued (see below). The notation ―W‖ is issued when the student petitions to withdraw from a course, provided that the petition is received no later than the beginning of the last week of instruction. Narrative evaluations must be written for graduate students receiving A, B, C, D, P, S, or U. Narratives are optional for graduate students receiving F, NP, W, or I. For undergraduates, the work must be completed and the form must be turned in by the end of the following quarter. Graduate students have 3 quarters to complete the work and turn in the form. The student’s account will be charged $10 after the paperwork has been processed. The deadline is printed in the Academic and Administrative Calendar. When students do not meet the deadline, the incomplete lapses to a No Pass or an F, depending upon the grading option selected at the beginning of the quarter. It is recommended that lecturers who are here for only one or two quarters not assign the grade ―I‖ as a student’s grade at the end of the quarter. If it is absolutely necessary, the lecturer must make prior arrangements with a full time faculty member to be responsible for evaluating the student’s completed work after the lecturer has left the campus.

Grade Changes

A final grade notation may be changed upon written request of the instructor provided that there has been a clerical or procedural error. A grade notation may not be changed on the basis of re-examination or the completion of additional work after the end of the quarter. A grade change must be submitted within one year from the close of the quarter for which the original grade was submitted. Faculty Services Office has the Instructor Initiated Change of Grade forms. The forms should be filled out and returned to the Faculty Services Office for processing.

Grade-Point Average

Beginning with students who entered UCSC for the first time in fall 1997, a cumulative grade-point average is entered on the transcript at the conclusion of each academic quarter, provided that the student has elected letter grades in at least two-thirds of the cumulative credits attempted. Students who entered UCSC prior to fall 1997 may elect letter grades in most courses; however, their grade-point averages will not be computed.

Narrative Evaluations

Narrative Evaluations are optional, and are no longer a requirement on this campus. If you are interested in providing Narrative Evaluations for your students, please refer to the Registrar's site for more information.


Information Technology Services provides a Scantron test scoring service to the UCSC campus. This service is fee-based and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. First time users of this service are encouraged to contact ITS in advance to review the process prior to a real test-scoring situation. Click here to get the Scantron Job Request Form.

Assignment of Grades: Instructor Responsibility

The instructor in charge of a course is solely responsible for the grades assigned subject to the policies and regulations of the Academic Senate. The deadline for selection of either the P/NP or letter grading option is the third week of the quarter, and the deadline to drop, the fourth week. Students who select the letter-grade option may still withdraw (request a W grade) by the deadline during the 9th week of instruction. At the end of each quarter, the instructor must assign a final grade based on the work required for the entire course to each student enrolled in that course. An―I‖ grade may be assigned, if appropriate (see Incomplete above). The grade option selected by the student will appear on the student’s schedule. Grades submitted which are inconsistent with the grading option selected by the student, will be recorded as an interim grade by the Registrar's Office which will request further clarification from the instructor.

For additional information regarding AIS and other frequently asked questions http://reg.ucsc.edu/fac_staff.html

Academic Integrity

For more detailed information go to https://ue.ucsc.edu/academic-misconduct.html

In addition to the copies required on the form, please be sure to give a copy of all academic integrity reports to the College Provost as well as the Undergraduate Office or Graduate Office.Honors At graduation, the School of Engineering may confer Honors or Highest Honors in the major.

Please contact undergraduate or graduate advising for more information.

College Honors

Faculty of the School of Engineering may confer College Honors at graduation if they determine that the student’s academic performance is of outstanding quality throughout their undergraduate career. Please contact undergraduate advising for more information.

Checklist for School of Engineering Instructors

For the beginning of each quarter

  • Write your syllabus and place on class web page. Include assessment criteria, academic integrity policy and reminder about tutoring services and DRC. We suggest you incorporate this statement into your course website, syllabus, or class announcements early in the term: If you qualify for classroom accommodations because of a disability, please get an Accommodation Authorization from the Disability Resource Center (DRC) and submit it to me in person outside of class (e.g., office hours) within the first two weeks of the quarter. Contact DRC at 459-2089 (voice), 459-4806 (TTY),or visit http://drc.ucsc.edu
  • A class web page will be automatically provisioned for you once you are scheduled to teach a class by the instructional support staff.  You will receive an e-mail 60 days prior to the start of the quarter with instructions about how to use your class web page.
  • To advertise your class in any special way, email advising@soe.ucsc.edu to inform the undergraduate staff in advance, or email bsoe-ga@rt.ucsc.eduto inform the graduate staff in advance, e.g.,if it is a new class and/or if you want to advertise to a wider audience.
  • Order textbooks for the class several weeks in advance. This can be done through Bay Tree Bookstore (x9-4216, txtbooks@ucsc.edu, http://slugstore.ucsc.edu/ and click on textbooks).
  • Order desk copies of textbooks for yourself and your TAs (if any) from the publisher six weeks in advance.
  • Place your textbook or other course materials on reserve at the Science & Engineering Library (https://guides.library.ucsc.edu/reserves). For course readers, contact Professor Publishing Services, (x9-3888, http://copycenter.ucsc.edu/
  • If you need readers or tutors for your class, contact your department manager. Contact your department chair to increase enrollment
  • Inform Instructional Support (instruct@rt.soe.ucsc.edu) of any other special circumstances about your class/es of which you may be aware, such as classroom features, e.g. media, seating arrangements, or expecting larger than usual class size.
  • To schedule any BELS teaching labs or special software for your BELS Lab, contact: BE 40, x9-2812, bels-request@rt.soe.ucsc.edu
  • To schedule Learning Technologies (LT) lab use, submit a web request form at: http://its.ucsc.edu/computer-labs/reserve/index.html
  • NES (Narrative Evaluation System) Additional information is located at: http://registrar.ucsc.edu/faqs/faculty/evaluations/index.html

IEEE - Code of Ethics

We, the members of the IEEE, in recognition of the importance of our technologies in affecting the quality of life throughout the world, and in accepting a personal obligation to our profession, its members and the communities we serve, do hereby commit ourselves to conduct of the highest ethical and professional manner and agree:

  • to accept responsibility in making engineering decisions consistent with the safety, health, and welfare of the public, and to disclose promptly factors that might endanger the public or the environment
  • to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist
  • to be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data
  • to reject bribery in all its forms
  • to improve understanding of technology; its appropriate application and potential consequences
  • to maintain and improve our technical competence and to undertake technological tasks for others only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations
  • to seek, accept and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others
  • to treat fairly all persons regardless of such factors as race, religion, gender, disability, age, or national origin
  • to avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action
  • to assist colleagues and coworkers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of ethics

General Information

Sexual Harassment and Hate Crimes

A healthy and productive educational community is one in which students, faculty, and all staff treat each other with mutual respect. Such a community requires an atmosphere free of discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, race, color, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, creed, age, or disability. Sexual harassment is not tolerated at UCSC. Both state and federal laws also prohibit behavior that constitutes sexual harassment.

The full policy statement about sexual harassment may be viewed on-line at: http://www2.ucsc.edu/title9-sh/

The University of California, Santa Cruz is committed to maintaining an objective, civil, diverse and supportive community, free of coercion, bias, hate, intimidation, dehumanization or exploitation. To report a hate crime, please visit https://reporthate.ucsc.edu/. Incident reports can be filled out online, or in person at the Dean of Students Office, Hahn Student Services, # 245.

SOE Facilities Office

Located in Jack Baskin Engineering building, 3rd floor, Room #399C. Office Hours are 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm.


Facilities Manager: x9-3794 Facilities Assistant: x9-5710

Facilities Analyst: x9-5649

Door Access and Key Administrator: x9-4878

The Facilities Office provides services that include, but are not limited to: security and access, keys, phones, furniture issues, space preparation, repairs, custodial scheduling, shutdown notification, project coordination, installations, moves, storage, surplus and disposal, receiving, work orders.

Security and Access Codes

Keys and access codes are assigned in the Facilities Office. Faculty and staff will be assigned keys and codes that pertain to their areas of work: exterior doors, your office, labs and the mail room. Certain keys require approval from the Dean of Baskin Engineering.

Your students may also need keys, omnicodes, and key cards. They will require authorization from the sponsoring faculty of their Instructional Lab Manager. Your authorizations must be emailed to the Facilities office (bsoe-facilities@rt.ucsc.edu) in advance of the student's need. They should state the student's name, the room(s) to be accessed and the estimated duration of that assignment if possible. Students obtain their keys, codes, and key cards in person. Students must have picture identification.

There is no deposit required for assignment of keys, omni codes, or access cards. However, students who fail to return keys will be charged a $40.00 fee per key. Omni codes are reviewed quarterly and unauthorized codes are deleted quickly and regularly.


The Facilities Office is the source for ordering and making changes to phone service. Send your requests to the Facilities Assistant as soon as possible, keeping in mind that there will be a 10-15 day lead time for execution of that request. Please get authorization from Department Manager for funding and order approvals. If possible, list your old and new jack numbers.

Furniture Issues

Whether it is moving, new purchases, repairs, disposal or ergonomic adjustments (for more information about ergonomic issues, visit http://ehs.ucsc.edu/safety/ergonomics.php) your questions regarding furniture should be directed to the Facilities Manager, or x9-3794 or posted on the Request Tracker, bsoe-facilities@rt.ucsc.eduThere is limited funding and ever more limited storage space; however, there are a few assorted furniture items on hand that might be able to fill your request. Faculty receives the standard complement of office furniture. For any additional requests, please contact your Department Chair or Department Manager.

Repair and Maintenance Requests
These could be desk adjustments, leaking ceilings, broken or difficult furniture, dirty carpet, heating and cooling problems, moving and installing bulletin boards, room name tags, lock repairs and changes, moving and disposal of furniture and various other items. All requests may be directed to Facilities. Facilities will generate the proper type of work order or meet with you to examine the problem for better understanding.

Moves and Disposal

Moving furniture and equipment is the most common request coordinated through facilities. If computers and equipment are moved by the Technical Staff, requests should be sent to http://itrequest@ucsc.edu

Research, Grants, and Contracts

The Research Accountants are responsible for the effective and timely handling of post-award administration including governmental, private contracts and grants, endowments and gifts. Federal Governmental Agencies State & Local Contracts Private Contracts Private Grants Endowments Gifts Special Projects PARS (Personnel Activity Report) This report is used to capture the percentage of effort used on research awards for auditing purposes.

Useful Link, Office of Sponsored Projects: http://officeofresearch.ucsc.edu/osp/

Computer Facilities: 


Support for the computing and network facilities is available for faculty and researchers. Computer Facilities’ primary focus is providing technical expertise in systems and TCP/IP based network services. Oversight of the Computer Facilities is provided by a faculty advisory group composed of faculty representatives from the units supported.

Technical services provided consist mainly of file system backups and user accounts. Administrative services consist of equipment management, keys and keypads, computer and network related budgets, and coordinating facilities work orders. The School of Engineering also provides resources such as application software, dialup facilities, information server (Web, anonymous FTP), network connectivity, printers, system software, and workstations based on architectures from Digital, MasPar, Silicon Graphics, Sun Microsystems, and X-terminals.

Academic Personnel Policies and Procedures

A variety of programs and other resources exist to assist faculty in becoming acquainted with UC and UCSC academic personnel policies and procedures. Your Department Chair, Department Manager and Academic Payroll Analysts are all good sources for information or advice in matters pertaining to your academic appointment.

Travel and Reimbursement 

Anyone traveling on University business must submit an accounting for the travel within 21 days of completion of the trip. Travel must be authorized by a higher authority to which the traveler is accountable. Travelers shall not authorize/approve their own travel. The travel must not be authorized or approved by a person who directly reports to the traveler. Many of the following travel related policy and procedure can be found at the UC travel website: https://financial.ucsc.edu/pages/travel_process.aspx

University employees traveling on official business shall observe normally accepted standards of propriety in the type and manner of expenses to incur. Under no circumstances shall expenses for personal travel be charged to, or be temporarily funded by, the University. Only those travel expenses that are ordinary and necessary to accomplish the official business purpose of a trip are eligible for reimbursement.

All travel forms are available at: https://financial.ucsc.edu/pages/travel_process.aspx

Traveler’s Signature

The traveler must sign the certification on the Post Travel form. Cash Advances & Payments Made on Behalf of the Traveler. The UCSC Travel Advance/Request form is required whenever the traveler requests a cash advance or whenever the University issues a payment of any amount to a third party on behalf of the traveler.

  1. The traveler or travel arranger (for visitors) completes and signs the Travel Advance Request form. The Travel Advance Request is used to request cash for employees, and to pay for employee and non-employee airfare, conference registration, and other miscellaneous travel payments made on behalf of the traveler.
    1. Cash: Indicate on the form if cash is requested. Note: Cash is not advances to Visa Travel cardholders.
    2. Registration Fees: Indicate on the form any conference registration fees to be paid. Attach a copy of the registration form or other supporting documentation.
    3. Airfare and other expenses: Indicate on the form any travel agency expenses or other expenses that will be invoiced to UCSC.
  2. The completed, signed form is sent to the Division for funding assignment and authorization
  3. The Division forwards the authorized Travel Advance Request form to the FAST Office.
  4. The FAST Office assigns a Trip Number and notifies the traveler/travel arranger and the Division
  5. The traveler/travel arranger makes reservations and provides the Trip Number to the vendor.
  6. The vendor sends an invoice, referencing the Trip #, to the FAST Office for payment.

Reimbursements for Travel

Submission of a Post Travel form is required for all travel. The Post Travel is used to account for all payments made on behalf of a traveler, and for all payments reimbursing the traveler for out-of-pocket expenses. Further explanation of the form and when it is required is included with the form instructions and with the Travel Forms Processing Tips.


Travel for a campus visitor may be reimbursed in accordance with University rates and policies. Travel arrangements made by the division or department (airfare, lodging, etc.) may be paid on behalf of the traveler using the same procedures as used for employees, e.g., an approved Travel Advance/Request with an assigned Trip #.

Foreign Visitors

Visitors to the United States are allowed to enter the U.S. for a specific period of time, and must state the reason or purpose of their visit. This provides the basis for determining if they can receive payment, and if so, what they can be paid for. It is essential that inviting departments ensure that prospective visitors obtain the appropriate visa prior to entering the U.S. Foreign visitors are not eligible for travel reimbursement under certain visa types; therefore, it is recommended that departments include visa information with the letter of invitation.

A copy of the foreign visitor’s I-94 record is required to determine eligibility for travel payment, including any payments made to a 3rd party on behalf of the visitor. Please note that additional forms are required for other payment and/or visa types. These forms can be found at: http://financial.ucsc.edu/Pages/default.aspx

The American Competitiveness Work force Act of 1998 allows payment to holders of B-1, B-2, WB and WT visas for honor air and associated incidental expenses, i.e., travel expenses, for ―usual academic activity.Each UC campus is considered a separate institution for the purposes of this policy. For this policy, incidental expenses are considered travel expenses, including both reimbursements to the traveler and payments made to a third party on behalf of the traveler.

The Santa Cruz campus requires completion of a Certification of Academic Activity form for all B-1, B-2, WB and WT visa holders prior to receiving payment for honoraria or travel expenses (reimbursements and payments made on behalf of the traveler). Completion of the Certification of Academic Activity form does not replace any other existing required forms. The Certification of Academic Activity form is available at: https://financial.ucsc.edu/SiteAssets/Documents/Accounting/Certificate%20_of%20_Academic%20_Activity.pdf

Under the Act:

An academic activity may not exceed nine days at a single institution. Such visa holders may not accept honoraria and/or incidental expenses for more than five institutions or organizations in the previous six months.

Travel Expenses for Spouses (final interviews: faculty/MAP)

Travel expenses are allowable for the spouse of a candidate on final interviews for faculty and MAP candidates, and for pre-move house hunting trips. These expenses are tax-reportable income.

Group Travel

Supervised group trips should be authorized in advance. Claims for reimbursement of expenses paid for others shall be submitted by the group leader and must include the names of the persons on whose behalf expenses were incurred, an itemization of the expenses, and other pertinent supporting documentation.


It is the traveler’s responsibility to properly account for all travel by obtaining receipts and/or other appropriate documentation.

Original receipts are required for:

  1. Lodging, regardless of the amount
  2. Airfare, regardless of the amount
  3. Rental cars, regardless of the amount (UCSC will not reimburse for rental car insurance)
  4. Miscellaneous expense & local transportation costing $75 or more
  5. Any extraordinary items, regardless of the amount
  6. Gifts provided to a host, costing $25 or more

Xerox copies of receipts are not acceptable. The original receipt must be submitted to the appropriate service center with the traveler’s Post Travel form.

The use of electronic receipts is allowable if the detail contained in an electronic receipt is equivalent to the level of detail contained in an acceptable paper record.

Since hotel receipts may include charges that are not reimbursable, the traveler must provide an itemized receipt, including room charges, taxes, telephone, etc. Ticketless airfare expenses will not be reimbursed unless an original copy of the itinerary/ confirmation, a written receipt (requested by the traveler at the airport), or a passenger receipt coupon (requested by the traveler when making reservations is submitted with the Post Travel form).

Visa Travel Card


Under established contractual guidelines, corporate travel cards may be issued to employees. The Visa Travel Card is to be used for all reimbursable travel and entertainment expenses and is not intended for personal credit transactions. The card is provided at no cost to eligible employees who travel or entertain on behalf of the University.

The Visa Travel Card may be used for cash advances and reimbursable business expenses, i.e., lodging, meals, registration fees, transportation. A small fee ($2.00 minimum or 2.5% of the cash amount) is charged to the card and may be claimed as a miscellaneous business expense on the Post Travel form. Cardholders are required to use their corporate card whenever possible for cash advances and travel related expenditures.

U.S. Bank will provide cardholders with a monthly billing statement. The amount indicated on the statement is due in full prior to the next billing cycle. The collection process begins at 40 days past due.

The Service Center will be notified that the card is past due, and the Service Center’s involvement in the collection proceedings will continue throughout the process. Occasionally, a traveler’s statement may become due and payable prior to the conclusion of travel. In these instances, the traveler may qualify for an early reimbursement by completing a Travel Advance/Request form and requesting a Reimbursement of Fees paid by Charge Card (supported by submitting the original invoice and copy of the Visa statement).

Visa Travel Card holders may sign up to receive all reimbursements directly in their bank account by electronic fund transfer (ACH). The application can be found at:


Cash Advance

Completion of a Travel Advance Request form is required for all cash advances. Cash advances shall not be authorized to any person who is a Visa Travel cardholder, or who is delinquent in submitting an accounting for an expense of a prior trip for which University issued cash advance or other prepayment was made.

It is general policy to advance cash only to University employees. In certain circumstances, the authority approving the travel may request a cash advance for a non-employee, such as a student performing special research. In those cases, the request must include the payee’s permanent address and Social Security number. Additionally, the authority approving the advance must assume responsibility for the proper accounting of the cash advance.

Checks issued as cash advances will be mailed to the payee. In the event a check must be held for pick-up, it will be released only to the payee.

Any UCSC-issued cash that is advanced to the traveler, or any refunds or rebates due the University which are not recovered within a reasonable period of time are considered to be of personal economic benefit to the traveler, and such amounts are reportable to taxing authorities. Failure by the employee to substantiate expenses and to return unused amounts within 120 days obligates the University under IRS regulations to consider these amounts as income to the employee.

Payments Made by UCSC on behalf of the Traveler

All payments issued by UCSC on behalf of a non-cardholder must be supported by invoice or other documentation and must be accounted for on a Post Travel form.

Payments may not be made on behalf of Visa Travel cardholders. Cardholders should charge all travel expenses to their Visa Travel card and request reimbursement on a Post Travel form.

Lodging with a Friend or Relative
When a traveler lodges with a friend or relative while on official business for the University, the cost of a gift provided to the host may be reimbursed up to $75.00. The cost of a gift of $25.00 or more must always be supported by a receipt and is limited to one gift per stay.

Incidental Expenses

Incidental expenses include laundry, cleaning and pressing of clothes, tips and fees for services, e.g. waiters and baggage handlers.

One-Day Travel

Reimbursement of travel meal and incidental expenses for business trips of less than 24 hours is allowable only if an overnight stay is involved.

One to Thirty Day Travel

One to thirty day travel is defined as travel that is more than one day but less than thirty days. Meals and incidentals will be reimbursed for one to thirty day travel up to $64/day.


Only the most economical means of transportation may be charged to University funds. Transportation should be reserved in advance, so favorable rates can be obtained.

Commercial Airlines

Agreements located at: http://www.ucop.edu/strategicsourcing/welcome.html. It is expected that Visa cardholders will utilize their corporate card for payment of transportation tickets, etc.

  1. If the traveler does not have a corporate credit card, the University will make payment to the UCLA Travel Center or other travel agency. The process is outlined in the section titled: Cash Advances & Payments Made on Behalf of the Traveler.

Lost Tickets

Service charges for lost tickets may be reimbursed, provided such occurrences are infrequent. Charges for re- ticketing, schedule changes, etc., are reimbursable for a valid business reason. The reason for the charge must be shown on the Post Travel form.

Ticketless Airfare

Ticketless airfare expenses will not be reimbursed unless an original copy of the itinerary/ confirmation, a written receipt (requested by the traveler at the airport), or a passenger receipt coupon (requested by the traveler when making reservations is submitted with the Post Travel form.

Extended Travel to Save Costs

Reimbursement of additional lodging, meals, incidental expenses, etc. is allowed when the cost of airfare would be less if the traveler extends a trip, e.g., Saturday night stays. The traveler and/ or unit needs to provide a comparison showing that the reduction in airfare is more than the additional lodging and meal expenses incurred by extending the stay.

Use of Surface Transportation in Lieu of Air Travel

Reimbursement is allowed for the cost of meals and lodging, parking, mileage, taxis, buses, etc., while in transit, provided the amounts do not exceed the cost of airfare (based on the lowest restricted coach-class fare) plus parking and transportation to and from the terminals.

Frequent Flyer Miles

Reimbursement cannot be made to a traveler who chooses to use personal frequent flyer miles for the purchase of a ticket for University business. Reimbursements can be made only for actual out-of-pocket expenditures. Frequent flyer miles may be used to upgrade a flight; however, reimbursement must be claimed for the cost of the economy or coach fare.

Chartered Aircraft

Actual expenses of charter aircraft are allowable; however, prior approval must be obtained from the appropriate Vice Chancellor, and the campus Material Manager. Supporting receipts, detailing charges must be submitted with the Post Travel form.

Private Car

Mileage is located at: http://www.expediamaps.com click on “Driving Directions”
All privately-owned automobiles used on University business must meet minimum insurance requirements as detailed in BFB G-28, section VI.E.2.f.

All reimbursements for mileage must include an insurance certification and the license number of the car driven. The University will reimburse mileage at a standard rate of 55 cents per mile. Routine repairs, tires, gasoline or other automobile expenses shall not be allowed for the use of a privately-owned automobile. These expenses are included in the mileage reimbursement rates.

In those instances, because of the duration of the trip or the traveler’s automobile is needed at home, two round-trips to the airport may be allowed, but an explanation must be included with the Post Travel form. No long-term parking fees should be claimed with two round trips.

Mileage may be allowed between the traveler’s residence and the airport or destination if travel originates or terminates before or after the employee’s working hours, or if travel originates or terminates during a regularly scheduled day off.

Charges for parking, bridges, tunnels, ferries or toll roads may be claimed in addition to mileage. Valet charges in excess of normal parking charges are not allowable.

Rental Cars (receipts always required)

Agreements located at: https://www.ucop.edu/central-travel-management/travel-supplier-programs/cars.html

Insurance information at: https://travel.ucop.edu/connexxus/

Rental car expense is allowable when a rental is considered more advantageous to the University than the use of taxis or other means of transportation. A copy of the rental agreement detailing charges must be submitted with the reimbursement request (Post Travel form). Advance reservations for a compact or economy model should be made whenever possible, utilizing a company with whom University has an agreement.

Payment to the car rental agency should be made by corporate credit card, or personal funds. A Post Travel form should be completed to facilitate reimbursement. Optional insurance waivers offered by rental car agencies are not a reimbursable expense, except for rentals in a foreign country.

Employees should always rent a car from a company with whom the University has an agreement (see web address above). The University agreements with car rental agencies are for the use of employees and visitors while on official University business. The agreements may not be used for any non-business travel.

These agreements offer special rates, discounts, and no-cost insurance waivers on specific types of rentals. Travelers and travel arrangers should be cautioned to only rent vehicles offered within the scope of the agreement. If the agency offers a lower ―special‖ rate to the traveler, it will be offered outside the terms of the negotiated agreement and won’t include any no-cost insurance waivers.

Travelers who rent outside the available agreements may submit the expense for reimbursement from the University. However, UC will not reimburse any optional insurance waivers. Travelers should be advised to check with their personal insurance company and/or credit card company regarding rental car coverage. Note: Visa Travel cardholders are automatically insured when the card is used for payment.

Miscellaneous Ground Transportation

Other ground transportation such as taxi, bus, etc., may be reimbursed to the traveler. Receipts are required for expenses of $75.00 or more.


Privately-owned motorcycles or other motor-driven cycles are not authorized for use on official University business, nor can any reimbursement be made for the use of such vehicles.


No provisions for reimbursement exist at this time.

Private Aircraft

Prior to flying one’s own airplane on University business, the traveler must register with, and obtain written approval of the appropriate Vice Chancellor and the campus’s Insurance and Risk Coordinator.

Reimbursement for the use of a private aircraft is based on which is less, 1) the rate of 85 cents per air mile, plus parking and transportation costs to and from the place of storage, or 2) the lowest restricted coach class fare provided by a standard commercial air carrier, plus parking and transportation to and from the terminals. The cost of meals and lodging may be taken into account in determining the appropriate reimbursement amount.

Railroad or Bus Travel

Railroad or bus transportation may be used when the destination or other special circumstances so require. If the destination is served by a regularly-scheduled airline, pre-approval of a higher authority and a full explanation of the circumstances must be submitted with the reimbursement request.

Reimbursement may be made for miscellaneous expenses which include but are not limited to: business expenses such as services or rental of office machines in connection with official reports or correspondence; purchase of materials and supplies when normal purchasing procedures cannot be followed; local and long distance telephone calls (including one reasonably brief personal call home per day); fax charges; modem connection fees; rental of meeting rooms or facilities for the transaction of official business; fees for foreign travel, including costs related to passports, visas, and required photographs, medical inoculations, currency conversions, and costs for travelers checks.

Policy Exceptions

All exceptions to policy must be requested in writing and specify the purpose, circumstance or need, dates of travel, and the name of the individual to whom the exception is granted. Exceptions are approved by the Senior Administrative Officer or delegate. When an exception has been granted, the reimbursements of expenses claimed are limited to the actual costs incurred.

School of Engineering Researchers and Visitors



Administrative calendar: https://registrar.ucsc.edu/calendar/academiccalendar.html

Campus Calendars: http://www.ucsc.edu/tools/calendars.html

Faculty Directories

School of Engineering Faculty and Lecturers: http://engineering.ucsc.edu/people/faculty

School of Engineering Researchers and Visitors: https://engineering.ucsc.edu/people/researchers/

Faculty Portal (many helpful links): http://www.ucsc.edu/faculty/

Faculty & Staff Directory: https://campusdirectory.ucsc.edu/cd_simple

Helpful Resources

A-Z Index: http://www.ucsc.edu/about/alpha_index.asp

Academic Integrity: http://undergraduate.ucsc.edu/acd_integrity/index.html

Academic Senate Committee on Research-funding for research: http://senate.ucsc.edu/about/index.html

AIS Resources: http://its.ucsc.edu/myucsc/training.html

Copyright Law Information: https://guides.library.ucsc.edu/fair-use

Essentials for faculty-supervising Academic Student Employee (ASE)


FERPA and Privacy Link: http://reg.ucsc.edu/guidelines_qr.htm

Frequently Asked Questions For Faculty: http://registrar.ucsc.edu/faqs/faculty/index.html

General Catalog: http://reg.ucsc.edu/catalog/index.html

Information from the Registrar’s Office: http://registrar.ucsc.edu/faqs/faculty/index.html

Maps: http://maps.ucsc.edu

My.ucsc.edu: Faculty can access class rosters, grade rosters, narrative evaluations entry, and student records Narrative Evaluation System login: https://my.ucsc.edu

California Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy Regarding Academic: https://diversity.ucsc.edu/eeo-aa/images/non-discrimination-policy.pdf

Policy on Outside Activities of Faculty: http://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/012.025.html

Santa Cruz Campus Implementing Procedures for the Employment Provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (Academic Employees and Applicants): https://ada.ucsc.edu/about/index.html

Sexual Harassment Issues: http://www2.ucsc.edu/title9-sh/

Substance Abuse: http://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/016.000%20.html

Supervising Teaching Assistants-The Essentials: https://shr.ucsc.edu/elr/ase-toolkit/supervising-teaching-assistants-the-essentials.html

The Navigator (undergraduate handbook): http://reg.ucsc.edu/navigator/index.html

UCSC Faculty Information: http://apo.ucsc.edu/employment/index.html

Recognizing the Signs and Helping Students in Distress: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xOEE_F-sX0zP_h5EWMINpf_YRvE2QNb8/view

Working with the Emotionally Distressed Student: https://caps.ucsc.edu/responding-to-distressed-students.html#:~:text=If%20the%20student%20is%20receptive,the%20staff%20member%20on%20call

Other Divisions

Bay Tree Bookstore: http://slugstore.ucsc.edu/

Information Technology Services (ITS): http://its.ucsc.edu/

Graduate Studies: http://gradstudies.ucsc.edu

Housing, Dining & Child Care Services: http://housing.ucsc.edu

OPERS (Office of Physical Education, Recreation and Sports): https://recreation.ucsc.edu/

University Library: http://library.ucsc.edu

Personal Well Being

Counseling and Psychological Services: http://caps.ucsc.edu

Health and Wellness: https://risk.ucsc.edu/employee-wellness/

Women’s Center: http://womenscenter.ucsc.edu

Revised August, 2016
Instructional Support Services