- 1. Please do not use staples on any hard copy materials except publications.
- 2. It is very helpful if any special handling requirements such as rush, visa, or waiver requests are called to our attention. Brightly colored post-its are one method that seems to work well for hard copy. A phone call or email works well for on-line reviews. Including specific details regarding rush requests is very helpful.
- 3. With the exception of correspondence to foreign scholars, all communications are sent out via email only. The candidate's address for correspondence MUST include an email address.
APPOINTMENT, REAPPOINTMENT, AND ADVANCEMENT
- 1. Lecturer appointments and reappointments should always include student evaluations if available for appointments and since the last review for reappointments. Note: this is contrary to campus policy. Evaluations should also be included for any Professor Emeritus recalled to teach.
- 2. FOAPALS should be included for without salary appointments using 19900 - sponsoring PI's research org - 2 or 19900 - sponsoring department's research org -2 if department sponsored or the PI does not have a research org.
- 3. Extensions of dean's authority appointments are allowed up to the normal time at rank and step. Please use the extension form for this purpose. Capture all approvals via signatures on the extension form so that this action can be done with a single paged form.
- 4. Identify which department manager is taking the lead on a case by writing the manager's initials at the bottom of the document inventory.
- 5. Changes in start and end dates or other revisions
a. If the end date changes in advance of the start date, then the Chair/PI submits a revision to the appointment request and a new dean's letter is issued.
b. Once here, if the candidate wishes to leave in advance of the end date, a resignation letter is required.
c. If any revisions impact pay, the Chair/PI submits a revision to the appointment request and a new dean's letter is issued.
d. If any revisions affect visa documents, the Chair/PI submits a revision to the appointment request and a new dean's letter is issued. Please submit this as a hard copy memo.
e. In all other cases, revised letters from the dean's office will be issued upon the department's written request.
- 6. If a scholar will be working off-site, this information should be included in the appointment or reappointment request's description of duties area (section B on the postdoctoral scholar Appendix A) and will be included as part of the offer/approval letter.
- 7. All appointment/reappointment requests should include verification that appropriate space has been identified/approved for the appointee.
- 8. Extramural letters for appointments at the Assistant Specialist rank using Exemption category L are not required in the Baskin School of Engineering. Note: this is contrary to campus policy.
- 1. The J-1 is the appropriate visa for Postdoctoral Scholars. Since University and campus policy considers a Postdoctoral Scholar position to be a "training position" for a period up to five years, it is inappropriate to hire Scholars on a visa type primarily reserved for appointees in "career" positions. The J-1 visa remains the visa of choice for Postdoctoral Scholar appointees eligible to hold this visa type. Sponsorship of any other visa for Postdoctoral Scholars is done by exception via letters of request from the Department Chair and Dean and approval by the CP/EVC.
- Please remember to consider the Scholar's eligibility for future employment positions. Once all six years of H1-B eligibility have been used, it is highly unlikely that the Scholar will have an opportunity to secure a teaching or research position that will allow them to apply for Permanent Residence. Bypassing the years on J-1 status and going directly to H1-B, they sacrifice years of preparation to accumulate achievements and recognition to obtain a job offer that includes sponsorship for Permanent Residence. In the end, Scholars may be forced to return home.
- 2. Generally speaking, an H-1B petition duration coincides with the appointment duration. Under certain circumstances, the petition may be for a longer period. In such cases,the H-1B petition should be filed only for that period of employment for which funding and appointment renewal is guaranteed at the time of filing.
- If a J-1 Scholar will be conducting work off-campus (beyond 1156 High Street), include the Addendum to Site of Activity form with the request request and include this information in the appointment request letter. The offer letter will include this information in the description of duties.