Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) Employees
GSRs are hired on a quarterly basis. The general and individual quarterly GSR calls are sent by the BSOE Payroll Analysts, approximately 8 weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Responses to hire GSRs are due from faculty approximately 4 weeks prior to the start of the quarter.
TIMELY RESPONSE TO THE GSR CALL IS CRITICAL.
Your GSR employees may NOT begin working until you have responded with the details below and the funding has been approved.
Please make your preliminary GSR support decisions and discuss with your graduate students as soon as possible. Be advised that TA assignments are concurrently being processed. Many factors go into assigning TAs and removing just one TA from the pool for a GSR appointment can result in critical gaps in TA coverage. Please visit the Graduate Advising website for TA deadlines and other details.
GSR Hiring Process
- Two GSR call types are sent concurrently, approximately 8 weeks prior to the start of the quarter:
The general GSR call is sent to all ladder rank faculty.
The individual GSR call is sent individually to ladder-rank faculty who supported GSRs in the previous quarter. The call includes a list of names and the relevant funding support information of those students hired in the previous quarter.
- Faculty who did NOT support GSR employees in the previous quarter but wish to hire a GSR in the upcoming quarter should respond to the general GSR call, providing the details to the BSOE Payroll Analyst as outlined in the call by the deadline.
- Faculty who receive the individual GSR call must respond to confirm (or deny) the continued support of the previous quarter GSRs and/or add new GSR hires as needed by the deadline.
- The BSOE Payroll Analyst obtains budgetary approval from the BSOE Research Analyst.
- The student is contacted to complete payroll paperwork if/as needed.